Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Starting Point

The purpose of this blog is for me, a mormon, to record/share some thoughts about the Book of Mormon. It is begun as an assignment from my friend Bro. Hale, the author of many inspired ideas, who is beginning a network of blogs for his Seminary Class for 09-10 school year.

How do I feel about the Book of Mormon (BoM) as I start:
The BoM is true; meaning its teachings are true and the account of its origins and translation are true. This I believe; that is where I start from. Yet my actions with regards to the book haven't always reflected this conviction. I have read the book several times, but I am willing to admit that I have taken it for granted. I have found many truths but I have not always searched the book as is worthy of a book of scripture.

I may summarize my feeling by saying I take the book seriously, or at least I know that I should and I am trying to do so.

You have to take it seriously right? Especially as a mormon, it's so linked to everything else. It confirms or discredits the Prophet Joseph Smith. They are inseperable. If its real, he's real and vice versa; if its a sham, he's a sham and vice versa. Because they are so linked you can find out the BoM is true either directly (Moroni 10:3-5) or indirectly through a testimony of Joseph Smith. I don't remember choosing one way or another as I gained a testimony, but in this blog I will mostly be doing it the direct way. There is lots to explore and test out. The BoM has hundreds of promises, challenges, principles that you or I can try out in our lives and see if they work. Any of them could plant the seed that this book is true. The most important seed you or I will find in the BoM is Jesus Christ. I'm putting my hope in him, and the BoM gives me confidence that he loves me and that my trust is in the right place.

So with all that I'm getting this blog started.

No comments:

Post a Comment